Eastside Cruisers

all makes & models car club
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:50 pm 

My Ride: LX Torana
Name: Brett
I'm hearing whispers that it's all over for the Wandin Cruise night. Possibly due to idiots?

Has anyone heard anything official?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:32 pm 

My Ride: Blown SV8 - 10.75@130mph
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/Brstuchbery
On the facebook page here is the original message from Sindy about it being cancelled:

hi guys and gals
well firstly l just want to thank all my helpers and patrons/supporters and the wandin community over the last 4 years and the yarra valley for that matter ..as it is with much heartfelt regret to inform you all that the car show is no longer going to run as we were given out the back not good enough as far as l was concerned so thanks to the CEO of the yarra ranges council {whoever he is?}and the ceo of facilities management and the wandin football club {yes this is correct} that this great community charity event can not continue for we have exhausted all measures to go on but with no support from the COUNCIL and it looks like wandin east has been earmarked a a training ground {there goes another lot of community land you cant use} then it can not be a recreation reserve so thank you all again but dont forget my face as l will run for council next elections as someone needs to speak for our community vote SINDY and keep the bastards honest

There have been some developments though with this post from a local Councillor:

Hi Everyone,

I was disappointed to hear the news that the Wandin custom car show will no longer run. I understand the event has become popular over recent years and helps raise funds to organisations in the area. As a car fan myself I understand the need to cater for other events not just the stock standard “sporting events”. I am aware of the predicament the Wandin custom car show is in, and after meeting with the CEO and Director in charge of parks and reserves, council is not denying the event to continue but just ensuring council’s assets are maintained in a good condition.

I understand that this event is growing in popularity every year and I commend Sindy Redden for her tireless efforts in running the show! I understand money raised at the event is put back into the community such as Wandin CFA, Healesville Hospital and charities that support less fortunate members of our community. I understand that people as far and the Murray River district come down to this event, so the event is getting great publicity and support state-wide!

That being said, there are a number of issues around holding the event at Wandin East Reserve – which is why the planning application was denied by Council Officers:

•Council has spent a considerable amount of money upgrading the surface of a number of reserves after damage caused by events including the car show.

•Council is responsible for managing and maintaining a large range of assets including sports fields. We need to do this in a way that is sustainable and financially responsible in order for us to keep rate rises as low as possible. Grounds need to be kept in peak condition for all reserve users.

•Grounds are exceptionally soft with the recent wet weather. Continuing to hold the car show at the front oval of the Wandin East Reserve would cause significant damage to the ground.

Council has offered use of the back oval at the reserve to the car club for its show. However this offer was declined.

I understand many of you are disappointed, however Council is not stopping the hot rod event from running, but rather directing it to a more appropriate location. Council is also more than open to discuss exploring a number of other options for the car show that would be much larger and appropriate whilst maintaining the event in the Yarra Ranges and will be discussing this further with the club. I hope the car club considers this offer and I would be willing to assist in any way to ensure that the event can continue at a venue that would allow the show to grow without running the risk of further complications.

Kind regards
Cr. Jason Callanan
Yarra Ranges Shire
Deputy Mayor | Chandler Ward

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:14 am 

My Ride: LX Torana
Name: Brett
Thanks for the info Brett, good to hear it direct from the source and not just trust rumours.

We'll watch this space I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:23 am 

My Ride: 1975 torana, 1964 pontiac
Name: Shannon
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/tuf253torry
I read on Facebook the other day that the council is wanting a $10,000-$20,000 bond from the show organisers to run the show, sounds like an absolute rort to me!! :x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am 

My Ride: 2 x LJ Toranas & VY s
Name: Briana
Well despite the rumours it would appear that they have been able to secure another year!!

This starts off tonight again. Im stuck at Uni till 6.30pm so wont be able to go, hopefully its a good turnout!