Eastside Cruisers

all makes & models car club
It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Prs issues
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:11 pm 

My Ride: VN CALAIS - LH TORANA
Name: Steve
Hey guys.. just wondering the best way of checking my oil pressure. I have a guage mounted inside the car, which runs off a spacer mounted between the oil pump and oil filter, but on the last couple of cruises, my pressure seemed to be all over the place but no signs of problems with the motor. just not sure if my guage is acurate so want to check the prs against a differant set up to make sure its only a guage issue and not somthing more severe.
for those who dont know the car or motor, its a 355 holden stroker vq block, vn heads, top mount efi etc etc.
any help would be great.
cheers
steve

Post subject: Re: Oil Prs issues
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 pm 

My Ride: 77 lx torana 93 vq states
Name: Ryan
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/redtorry
what sort of gauge is it electric or mechanical could be a sender if its electric have you got another one to check it against

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:12 pm 

My Ride: Cam'd LS1 ss -11.81@121
Name: Beno
If it is electric, try and measure the resistance across the sender... This will have a value of resistance that is within tolerance. As long as your within tolerance, the sender should be ok

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:21 pm 

My Ride: 1975 torana, 1964 pontiac
Name: Shannon
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/tuf253torry
depends on what you class as all over the place, oil press might be low at idle when the oil is hot but as a rule of thumb you need atleast 10psi per 1000rpm to be safe, best bet is to find someone that has a good quality mechanical gauge that is known to be accurate and hook it up with a copper or s/steel braided hose(the cheapo plastic hoses are useless) and test it with that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 am 

cheers for your advise fellas. guage is a SAAS electric guage. (as pictured below)
also have a pic of the pressure block and sender mounted between the oil pump and filter. any thoughts about this setup or if its crap let me know.
when i say all over the place, I start the car from cold and for the first 2-3 seconds it sits on around 70-75 psi which i thought if anything would be opposite until the oil gets up the top.
then it idles around 50-60 psi (used to sit around 30-40 up until the last cruise)
when i was driving last it sat around 65psi for the first 20 mins and then dropped down after that (obviously moves around a bit depending on accelaration as well)
also on the krispy cream cruise a few weeks ago half way into the cruise i watched the guage drop down to around 8-10 psi for about 3 or 4 minutes. was about to pull over but then it jumped back upto around 35-40.
just dont know if its a faulty guage.
I dont have another guage to test but if i have to ill buy another one Unless anyone has a spair i could connect for a few minutes just to test it out (i live in sth eastern suburbs)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm 

My Ride: 77 lx torana 93 vq states
Name: Ryan
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/redtorry
try checking the sender as beno mentioned with a multimeter sounds like it might be faulty with how high its fluctuating

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:14 pm 

mr5000 wrote:
try checking the sender as beno mentioned with a multimeter sounds like it might be faulty with how high its fluctuating

cheers mate. will give it a go and see what i find.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:03 pm 

My Ride: lx hatch torana
Name: james
change ya oil filter. those oil blocks, block off the bypass in the pump housing. the bypass is there incase the filter has an issue so the engine doesnt lose oil pressure. also substitute the guage for a mechanical one, electric guages suck and tell lies. i go through this all the time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:42 pm 

as already said electric oil guages are not reliable , put a mechanics oil tester on it to see whats going on, I have one if you want a lend of one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:17 pm 

Thanks fellas.
"James" i will look into getting a mechanical guage like you mentioned. any ideas on best gauge to go for?? auto meter or somthing else?? if i ditch the billet spacer, where is the next best place to attach the sender for a mechanical guage?

"evil75" thanks heaps for the offer mate. that would be great if i could borrow or drop round and get you to chuck on your tester to check whats going on.