Eastside Cruisers

all makes & models car club
It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:24 pm 

My Ride: HQ MONARO - VX SS
Name: Charlie
Well it's been almost 12years since I bought my Vq statesman and it's time to say goodbye to my daily driver :( it's been a grate car as I can't beleave it's still holding up after all this time, apart from the diff being replaced before lol. The local made holden 5.0 is a grate motor and is still to this day liked by many. As we all know the Gen III replaced it in the early VT's but they had there far share of problems. Problems relating to oil circulation, excessive oil use and rattling when these engines are cold.

The first run of VT Ls1's used Mexican built motors that were known to have issues resulting in a lot being replaced/repaired under warranty. VX VY had the US built motors but not to say they don't have problems as well.

All LS1's have 6 bolt mains and are basically over engineered for the power output they are producing. Internally stock LS1's are running 500+hp with virtually no issues through either blower/turbo setups or cam/head packages and "Unopened" LS1's are running well into the 11 second bracket around the country.

Would like to hear from people who own them or who know a little more about it as I know some people in the club have these engines in there cars! I'm looking at getting a VX SS as I like the shape and the price tag there going for at the moment. Not in to much is a rush to get one but I will be looking at getting one soon. Cheers,

Charlie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:57 pm 

My Ride: 77 lx torana 93 vq states
Name: Ryan
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/redtorry
you love the vq charlie keep it and put more money into the monaro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:13 pm 

My Ride: Blown SV8 - 10.75@130mph
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/Brstuchbery
Charlie, come and talk to me at the next meeting as I've been through the LS1 journey since 1999 and have been through a lot in that time. I bought a VT II SS straight off the factory floor and it went through various stages from bolt ons, cam only, head and cam to stroker etc. The original engine did end up having oil starvation issues and spun a bearing which ended up in a full rebuild. Another main issue with the early engines (I include engines in both the VT and VX in these) had plenty of piston slap issues which mine had too.

My suggestion would be going straight to a VY as the engines were a lot more solid than the previous models and the overall car is a lot better than the previous models. With the VT I ended up replacing the rear end with a VX II rear as it gave adjustable camber but it still struggled to hook up anywhere near as good as my VY.

As for the engines you just need to look at mine as it's done 150,000+k's now and has had heaps of passes down the 1/4 (mainly by the previous owner) and has been through the stages also. It is currently putting out close to 700fwhp with a stock bottom end and as long as I don't go too crazy and keep enough fuel up to it and stay away from detonation it should last a while longer. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:16 pm 

mr5000 wrote:
you love the vq charlie keep it and put more money into the monaro

Lol, yes I do love my statesman but it's starting to have a few issues with it now and don't think it's worth spending money in parts to fix it and can't be f**** with doing it. I don't think i could bring my self to sell it, mite store it at mum's and pull it out in about 15 years lol.

Last edited by 2TUFF on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:27 pm 

Brett SS wrote:
Charlie, come and talk to me at the next meeting as I've been through the LS1 journey since 1999 and have been through a lot in that time. I bought a VT II SS straight off the factory floor and it went through various stages from bolt ons, cam only, head and cam to stroker etc. The original engine did end up having oil starvation issues and spun a bearing which ended up in a full rebuild. Another main issue with the early engines (I include engines in both the VT and VX in these) had plenty of piston slap issues which mine had too.

My suggestion would be going straight to a VY as the engines were a lot more solid than the previous models and the overall car is a lot better than the previous models. With the VT I ended up replacing the rear end with a VX II rear as it gave adjustable camber but it still struggled to hook up anywhere near as good as my VY.

As for the engines you just need to look at mine as it's done 150,000+k's now and has had heaps of passes down the 1/4 (mainly by the previous owner) and has been through the stages also. It is currently putting out close to 700fwhp with a stock bottom end and as long as I don't go too crazy and keep enough fuel up to it and stay away from detonation it should last a while longer. :D

Brett I knew you would reply to this post as I know you have had your fair share of playing around with these motors. I know when the VY come out they sorted these problems out but can't really spend to much as the VX are more in my price range and Iv always liked the look of the VX SS, but that's not to say the VY looks just as good. I'm looking at getting one and just doing a few mods down the track like cam, Air intake, pipe work ect just to free up some HP as it will be a daily diver and don't want to go to crazy as Iv got the Monaro for that! Lol. So are the series II vx ls1's any better? Yes like to talk more with you and see what my options are before going ahead in finding one.