Eastside Cruisers

all makes & models car club
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:17 pm 

My Ride: LX Torana
Name: Brett
Hi guys,

Hoping some people with experience in this area may be able to help / recommend a solution for me....

My 383 SBC has a dual plane Edel RPM Air Gap intake. Carb is a 750 Holley Ultra HP Aluminium job. Great carb.... but extreme lack of vac ports!!! Nothing at all on the rear of the baseplate.

I've drilled and tapped a port into the intake manifold in order to connect vacuum to my brake booster, so that's sorted. However I'd like to connect a PCV valve in the traditional location of the carb baseplate.... hence why I'm looking at carb spacers.

I don't particularly want or need a spacer, but it will be the easiest solution.... so if I'm going to do it, I might as well go for a material that offers heat insulation properties too. (Especially since car is a regular driver).

There are endless styles to choose from.... Phenolic plastic, wood fiber, etc.

My next dilemma is which style - 4 hole, divided wall, open etc...

Can you get them with ports already fitted, or will I need to have this done?

Ideally, the thinner the better too (ie. 1/2" would be nice, but may need to go to 1"). Bonnet clearance is no issue as I have a scoop and can play around with air cleaner sizes etc.

So any ideas?

1. Type of material
2. Style of spacer
3. Size

What are the best brands... my key requirement is reliability. I don't want something that will melt or warp.

Any info or experiences would be great to hear, cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:28 pm 

My Ride: GTS Monaro
Name: Andrew
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/monarogts1974
Wow brett,
nice question,
can you t off the brake booster point
other wise you would prob need at least 1/2 inch so as to put big enough port on for pcv
pvc spacer or aluminium i would recomend
i would go 4 hole as with a dual plane you wont be doing any favours with an open spacer, 4 hole will increase wind speed at venturies as well and create better responce and potentially nicer power
you could buy a 4 hole aluminium spacer with blended under side but it is going to a dual plane so 4 hole will least disturb air speed.
only my opinion of course, but have played on the dyno alot with spacer over the years.
cheers

ISO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:32 pm 

My Ride: GTS Monaro
Name: Andrew
Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/monarogts1974
Like this one from Jegs
Attachment:
spacer.JPG
spacer.JPG [ 124.54 KiB | Viewed 4004 times ]

ISO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 pm 

My Ride: LX Torana
Name: Brett
I've been told not to tee off the brake booster line as in my case it's connected to an individual runner. This is ok for brake booster (as per some factory installations) but not the PCV as that would have an impact on the individual cylinder (depending of course on how much the PCV sucks for any given engine).

Hence my dilemma - and need to fit the spacer with PCV.

Yep - agree that a 1" will be the better choice over a 1/2" as far as height goes, so that's what I'll do. To start with, I'll just get a cheapo aluminium one ($25 locally), and that can be my starting point.

With regards to 4 hole versus open - it's funny. The general rule of thumb indicates 4 hole for dual plane. However my manifold seems to be an exception to the rule as the RPM Air-Gap has the milled out divider - making it kind of a hybrid dual-plane/single plane plenum. I've been reading a lot of the yankee threads and heaps of them see better results with the open spacer over the 4 hole with this intake. Very interesting.

Having said all that - if I can get a tiny bit of dyno time, I would still try the 4 hole, and do back to back tests. Hopefully early next year. The car needs a tune anyway, so what's an extra couple of runs going to hurt.

Just for interests sake... check this out.....